Sunday, March 9, 2014

Paper Piecing Tutorial - easy fussy cutting

I am happy to have my first tutorial for Xyron for you today.  I absolutely love to paper piece (probably because I can't color, hehehe) and I am sure I love it so much because of Xyron.  The little 150 Create-a-Sticker makes paper piecing so easy and with no mess.  Thus I thought a paper piecing tutorial would be a perfect start!  Also since I am leaving for Europe in a few days, I thought paper piecing the Bianca Fashionista by Unity would be the perfect image.

First off, I stamp all of my pieces on the desired paper with the main image on cream paper (makes for easier coloring of her skin... like I said, I am not a colorer)

After coloring what needs to be colored, I cut out the pieces, thinking about how they will be layered for easiest cutting and assembling.  The micro tip scissors from CTMH are a must have for me, I have a few pair (mostly because they are always getting lost in the mess on my desk!) - they make fussy cutting so easy.  I run all of my pieces through the 150 Create-a-Sticker.

Then I just assemble.

I cut out all around the image and then I am left with this inside which I don't like.  

Sorry for the blurry photo, but for easiest removal of the inside pieces I look at where I can cut through my image for least amount of damage.  In this case, I cut the legs from the suitcase, then just trimmed out the inside piece.  I also cut through one knee and one of the arms, to get those little pieces out.  No worries, these cuts won't be seen once the project is finished.  Another little tip, is to run a marker (similiar to the stamp ink) around the edge of the cut paper just to blend it in.

Once my card front is created, I use my Xyron Mega Runner to apply strips of adhesive around the edges of a card base and then adhere the card front.

Voila, the finished piece.  I used the Travel Ledge collection by Teresa Collins, the Alpha Beans are from Jillibean Soup, the twine is Divine twine and I have used a few Unity stamps (Bianca FashionistaJe t'aimeVintage Handwritten, and the Going Places SMAK kit).  Oh and yes, I do have a pink suitcase.  My hubby made fun of it when I first got it, but guess who's luggage is the easiest to spot coming down the baggage claim, hehehe




7 comments:

Ashley Horton said...

Cute travel card, Laurel!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Soooooooo cute!! Thanks for the tips!!!

Dawn said...

Ha Ha Very cute card! I love your honesty that coloring isn't your thing. Not my favorite thing either being a perfectionist it just never comes out "perfect." Have a great trip!!!

~amy~ said...

I've remembered your fussy cutting tips...they are super useful! Love that card...that's me packing.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the tips on paper piecing. You do such a great job with it. Appreciate your honesty about coloring. You have many other fantastic skills for sure! Your finished cutie sure looks great!

Annette Allen said...

great paper piecing.. i love that fun image.. thanks for sharing

Audrey Pettit said...

OMGoodness, I just finished up a paper piecing tutorial earlier today! I love paper piecing, too...and probably because I can't color either! haha! This is adorable, Laurel!

01 09 10